CLEP and DSST Exams
CLEP (College-Level Examination Program) and DSST exams provide students the opportunity to receive college credit for knowledge acquired through independent or prior study, on-the-job training, professional development, or internships. Credit is awarded by earning qualifying scores on any of the 33 computerized CLEP exams or 38 DSST tests.
HCC recognizes and awards CLEP and DSST credit for students who are matriculated and are using the credits towards degree requirements. Students are advised to meet with their academic advisors prior to scheduling an exam to make sure the CLEP credits will fit into the requirements and/or electives of their selected major. Credits will appear on HCC transcripts but are not used for calculating Grade Point Average or eligibility for Academic Honors designation at graduation.
PLEASE NOTE: Qualifying tests and acceptable scores are determined by each individual college. If you are a student from another college, check with your school to determine what their policy is regarding awarding CLEP and DSST credits.
Please be advised that not all schools accept CLEP credit for foreign language. Be sure to check with your transferring institution regarding their CLEP policy.
HCC is an official open, military-friendly testing center. Testing dates are scheduled monthly throughout the year at the discretion of the college except during the months of January, July, and August.
TESTING CENTER LIMITATIONS:
- Due to time constraints, we are unable to accommodate any testing exceeding time-and-a-half.
- All CLEP testing is administered in a group setting.
If extended testing sessions or individual testing is required, please contact the College Board website for testing centers that provide that service.
TO REGISTER FOR A DSST EXAM:
Call the Testing Center (203 332-5217) to schedule the test and pay the non-refundable administration fee of $15 (for current community college students) or $35 (outside students) A photo ID and test fee of $85 (credit cards only) is required on the day of the exam.
TO REGISTER FOR A CLEP EXAM:
Go to collegeboard.org and click on CLEP. You will be asked to create an account which will allow you to register and pay the $89 exam fee. A CLEP exam ticket will be mailed to your email address. Make sure your first and last name on the ticket exactly match the name on your ID (see below). Once you receive your exam ticket, call the Testing Center (203 332-5217) to schedule the test and pay the non-refundable administration fee of $15 (for current community college students) or $35 (outside students). CLEP tickets are good for six months.
On the day of the exam you will need to bring the following:
- Your CLEP exam ticket
- A valid and current ID from the list below (The ID must be an original government issued ID which includes your name, signature and photo. Photocopies will not be accepted.)
CLEP ID REQUIREMENTS
IMPORTANT: Only students with one of the acceptable IDs listed below will be allowed to test.
Acceptable forms of government issued identification include:
- Driver’s license
- State or Province ID issued by the motor vehicle agency
- Military ID
- National ID
- Tribal ID card
- A naturalization card or certificate of citizenship
- A Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
**If you are a minor and unable to provide a primary government-issued ID, then the College Board Student ID Form must be used for identification purposes. This form must include a recognizable photograph, and the school or notary seal must overlap the photo. The ID form must be signed in the presence of a designated school official or notary. The ID form must be dated and is valid for only one year. The Student ID Form can be downloaded from the Exam Day Info page of the CLEP website.
Unacceptable forms of identification include (but are not limited to):
- Credit or debit cards of any kind
- Social Security card
- Employee or Work ID
- School ID
- Any document that is photocopied or expired
- Any document that does not bear a recent recognizable photograph that matches the test-taker
- Any document that does not bear the test-taker’s name in roman English characters exactly as it appears on the Registration Ticket
- Any document that is worn, torn, scuffed, scarred, or otherwise damaged in such a manner that it renders any part of the text or photograph on the ID card illegible or unrecognizable
- Any document that appears tampered with or altered
If you have questions about the identification policy or questions about what is or is not acceptable, contact CLEP Services at (800) 257-9558, (212) 237-1331, or clep@info.