Skip to main content

Veteran's Services

Veteran's Education Benefits

Veteran's Information is located in the Registrar's Office, Room B137 in Lafayette Hall

PLEASE NOTE: To receive your veterans benefits in a timely fashion, a copy of your class schedule needs to be turned in to the Veterans Representative in the Registrars Office, Lafayette Hall Room 109 each semester.

Veteran's and students eligible for Veterans Administration (VA) education benefits must complete the College's application procedures for degree or certificate students. In addition, such students must contact the College VA representative at 203-332-5087. Reservists and members of the National Guard are eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 1606) must contact the College VA representative and supply the Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) form in order to file for benefits. Connecticut tuition waiver may apply to some veterans.

All students who will use VA benefits must be enrolled at Housatonic as degree or certificate-seeking students. New students must have military and civilian education evaluated by the College. Since Veterans Administration benefits cover only courses which do not replicate previously gained credit, students receiving VA benefits are advised to submit their separation (DD214 ) and/or educational transcripts for an evaluation of Military Learning and/or transfer credits.

Continued eligibility for benefits is contingent upon the student complying with College regulations and conformance with program of study requirements. Only courses required for degree or certificate completion are covered by VA benefit programs. Additional courses selected by the student become the financial responsibility of the student.

Chapter 30 benefits:

Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI bill, active duty (MGIB)

The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of educational benefits. The benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, and apprenticeship /on the job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency and refresher courses may be appropriate under certain circumstances. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. This program is also commonly known as chapter 30. This benefit is for those veterans who served on active duty after June 30, 1985, those who had remaining entitlement under the Vietnam era GI bill, and those who switched VEAP before voluntarily separated after February 2, 1991.

Chapter 31 benefits:

Vocational Rehabilitation for veterans with service connected disabilities.

Vocational rehabilitation education benefits are for veterans that have received, or will receive, a discharge that is other than dishonorable. Has a service connected disability rating of at least 10%, or a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the department of veteran’s affairs and Applies for vocational rehabilitation and employment VR&E Vetsucess services.

Chapter 32 benefits:

Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP)

VEAP is available if you first entered active duty between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985 and you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. Contributions are matched on the 2$ for 1$ basis by the department of defense. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training and apprenticeship /on the job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

Chapter 33 benefits:

Generally, an individual who served a minimum of 90 days on active duty after September 10, 2001, will be eligible for education assistance under the post 9/11 GI bill. Active duty served as a member of the armed forces or as a result of a call or order to active duty from a reserve component under section 688, 12301(a), 12301(d), 12303(g), 12302 or 12304 of the title 10 is qualifying active duty service. In general an individual’s eligibility to use chapter 33 benefits expire 15 years from the date of the last discharge or release from active duty of at least 90 days.

Chapter 35 benefits:

Dependent educational assistance (DEA).

Educational assistance paid to dependents of veterans who have a service connected permanent and total disability or died as a result of service connection.

Chapter 1606 benefits:

Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR).

Chapter 1606 is an educational program for members who are actively participating in the selected reserve. Selected reserve components include the Army reserve, naval reserve, air force reserve; Marine Corps reserve coast guard reserve, army national guards and air National Guard. The department of defense and the department of homeland security (Coast guard) determine who is eligible for chapter 1606. The department of veteran’s affairs administers the program and pays benefits.

Chapter 1607 benefits:

Reserve educational assistance program (REAP).

This is an education program for active members of the selected reserve called to active duty and members of the individual ready reserve (Army IRR, Air Force IRR, Navy IRR, and Marine Corps IRR) called to active duty in support of a contingency operation or a national emergency declared by the president or congress.

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA. This school will not:

  • Prevent the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to;
  • Require student secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny their access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Provide Chapter 33 Certificate of Eligibility (or its equivalent) or for Chapter 31, VA VR&E’s contract with the school on VA Form 28-1905 by the first day of class.
    • Note: Chapter 33 students can register at the VA Regional Office to use E-Benefits to get the equivalent of a Chapter 33 Certificate of Eligibility. Chapter 31 student cannot get a completed VA Form 28-1905 (or any equivalent) before the VA VR&E case-manager issues it to the school.
  • Provide written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies

Quick Facts

How do I apply for the GI BILL?

Students must apply using the standard GI BILL forms. Students can also apply online using VONAPP or Veterans Online Application.

What form do I use?

If this is your first time applying for GI BILL benefits, complete form 22-1990; for others (dependent/spouse), complete form 22-5490.

What other forms do I provide?

For all active duty students, you must attach a copy of your form “DD-214”. For non-active duty (reservists/guards) you must attach a copy of your Notice of Basic Eligibility“NOBE”. For all others (dependent’s proof of birth certificate or marriage certificate for spouse).

How do I check the status of my submitted application?

Call 1-888-442-4551 or 1-888-GIBILL-1.

Websites:  is the official benefit website is a one stop shop for online benefits