Federal Work Study Program

Federal Work Study Program

What is the Federal Work-Study program?

Federal Work-Study provides part-time jobs for undergraduates with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses.

Here’s a quick overview of Federal Work-Study:

  • It provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school.
  • It’s available to undergraduates.
  • It’s available to full- or half-time students.
  • It’s administered by schools participating in the Federal Work-Study Program. Check with your school's financial aid office to find out if your school participates.

Federal Work-Study at HCC

This program provides jobs for HCC students who receive financial aid. Its purpose is to provide funds for students, which will allow them to be employed while they are pursuing their studies. This part-time employment may be either on the college campus or in a public and/or private non-profit organization.

How much can I earn as a work-study at HCC?

You’ll earn at least the current federal minimum wage. Click here to see the current federal minimum wage for Connecticut. To be eligible, you must have a completed Financial Aid application on file in the Financial Aid Office. 

Your total work-study award depends on:

  • When you apply,
  • Your level of financial need, and
  • Your school’s funding level.

How will I be paid?

HCC work-study students are paid bi-weekly.

Can I work as many hours as I want?

No. The amount you earn can’t exceed your total Federal Work-Study award. When assigning work hours, your employer or your school’s financial aid office will consider your class schedule and your academic progress.

  • Students may work a maximum of 15 hours a week while attending classes.
  • If funds are available, eligible students may work a maximum of 25 hours during vacation periods. Students interested in this program should contact the Financial Aid Office.
Achieving the Dream
JED Campus