Apply For Student Emergency Funds
The Student Emergency Fund was created by generous donors to assist Housatonic Community College (HCC) students who have encountered an unforeseen financial emergency or hardship event that would otherwise prevent them from continuing their education at HCC. These funds are not intended to be used for routine expenses, or as a consistent supplement to a student’s regular financial aid.
Student Emergency Fund Guidelines
Requests must be urgent in nature, reflecting short‐term financial hardship for which the student could not have been prepared. Students may receive only one award during an academic year, with no expectation of repayment.
Applicants must be currently enrolled at HCC and must be in good standing.
Funds will not be given directly to students, but rather to vendors that address the specific student emergencies. Awards are given up to $250.00 (some exceptions may apply). Applications and amounts will be considered on a case‐by‐case basis by a quick‐response review. Awards will be both confidential and genuinely respectful.
- Qualifying examples include, but are not limited to:
- Unforeseen and uncovered medical expenses
- Assistance with groceries, rent or utilities due to an emergency situation such as job loss
- Safety-related needs, such as changing locks on a vehicle or home
- Transportation emergencies, such as bus passes or car repair
- Expenses not covered include, but are not limited to:
- Tuition, books, fees, health insurance
- Non‐essential utilities (such as cable TV)
- Household or furniture costs not related to damage or theft
- Parking tickets
- Non‐essential expenses
The number of students who can be assisted by the Student Emergency Fund is subject to the availability of funds. Submission of application request does not guarantee funds approval.
Priority will be given to students whose tenure at HCC may be at risk because of unexpected expenses.
Please complete the following application to request student emergency funds: