HCC Foreign Language Advising and Placement Testing
Interested in studying a foreign language?
HCC provides a number of opportunities for students to pursue foreign language study. We offer courses in Arabic, French, Italian, Latin and Spanish, transfer degrees in Spanish, French and Italian, and a General Studies Foreign Language Certificate Concentration.
Before enrolling in a course, students must be advised and may have to take our Foreign Language placement exam.
The Foreign Language tests are comprised of a brief survey and a series of multiple-choice questions that takes about 20 minutes to complete. The scores and the language background data will be used to place students into the appropriate level Spanish or French course. The Placement test helps instructors balance their classes with students at the same level. There is no charge for the test.
The placement test is used to determine a student's proficiency level in Spanish or French and is only for course placement—no college credit will be given as a result of this exam. ** The results from this test do not constitute completion of any second language or humanities requirement. **College credit can be awarded by taking a CLEP exam for a fee (see CLEP information under Testing Services)
Who do I contact for advising?
To begin the advising process, you must first complete the Foreign Language Questionnaire. Once submitted, you will receive an email from one of our foreign language Faculty members indicating your next steps.
Who has to take the exam?
- Any student who has not taken a college-level Spanish or French course is required to take the Placement test.
- Arabic and Italian students will be interviewed prior to enrolling in a course.
- Visiting students from other institutions need to contact Prof. Ortiz () directly.
How can I prepare for the exam?
- There are no special topics to study before the test; the test is designed to diagnose your current knowledge of the language.
How will I know my course placement?
- Test scores are available immediately upon completion of the exam. After completing the test, along with your results, you will be informed of the specific course you have been placed in.
How do I schedule an exam?
- The test is offered year round by appointment only. Students interested in registering for a foreign language course must complete the Foreign Language Questionnaire. Once completed, additional instructions will be sent to you via email should you need to take an exam.
Should you have any additional questions, please contact: Prof. Jamilet Ortiz.