Foreign Language Placement Test
Housatonic Languages and Cultures Advising and Placement Testing
Interested in studying a language other than English?
CT STATE HOUSATONIC provides a number of opportunities for students to pursue foreign language study. We offer courses in Arabic, French, Italian, and Spanish, and transfer degrees in French, Italian, and Spanish.
Before enrolling in a course, students must be advised and may have to take our Languages and Cultures placement exam.
The Languages and Cultures Language tests are comprised of a brief survey and a series of multiple-choice questions that takes about 20 minutes to complete. The scores and the language background data will be used to place students into the appropriate level course. The Placement test helps instructors balance their classes with students at the same level. There is no charge for the test.
The placement test is used to determine a student's proficiency level in the language tested and is only for course placement—no college credit will be given as a result of this exam. ** The results from this test do not constitute completion of any second language or Humanities requirement. **College credit can be awarded by taking a CLEP exam for a fee (see CLEP information under Testing Services)
Who do I contact for advising?
To begin the advising process, you must first complete the Housatonic Languages and Cultures Questionnaire. Once submitted, you will be directed to complete the placement test or will receive an email from one of our Languages and Cultures Faculty members indicating your next steps.
Who has to take the exam?
- Any student who has not taken a college-level Languages and Cultures course is required to take the Placement test.
- Students interested in studying Arabic need to contact Prof. Mellouk () in order to gain enrollment permission.
- Visiting students from other institutions need to contact Prof. Ortiz () directly.
How can I prepare for the exam?
- There are no special topics to study before the test; the test is designed to diagnose your current knowledge of the language.
How will I know my course placement?
- Test scores are available immediately upon completion of the exam. After completing the test, along with your results, you will be informed of the specific course you have been placed in.
How do I schedule an exam?
- The test is offered year-round and is available online only. No appointment necessary! Students interested in registering for a Languages and Cultures course must complete the Housatonic Languages and Cultures Questionnaire. Once completed, additional instructions will be provided with next steps.
Should you have any additional questions, please contact: Prof. Jamilet Ortiz.