The goal of the HCC OIE is to collect, analyze, and disseminate pertinent information about the college and the community it serves.
- create linkages between strategic planning, college goals, and institutional data
- provide data to support the HCC Strategic Plan
- provide data to help departments reach their goals
- provide data to government agencies as required
- provide data for public dissemination
- facilitate and participate in discussions of the college's purpose and performance
- serve as a resource to college departments for research design and methodology related to individual research projects approved by the Institutional Research Board.
Steps to be taken to reach the objectives include:
- working with IR and IT staff within HCC and the ConnSCU system to develop and maintain accurate, comprehensive databases of institutional information
- gathering data through the design and/or administration of surveys and other tools
- supporting matriculation and graduation goals by researching student retention, persistence, attrition, and success
- exploring new opportunities for research to contribute to institutional evaluation and improvement
- assisting in the generation of data needed for grant applications
- educating the campus community on the value and uses of research.
When collecting, analyzing and presenting data, the staff of the Housatonic Community College Office of Institutional Effectiveness strives to:
- apply statistical principles appropriately
- present data in clear, easily understandable formats
- provide context, to foster complete understanding
- avoid oversimplification of complex issues.
In all of our activities, we strive to be:
- responsive to the needs of HCC students, staff and faculty
- ethical in our use of data
- collegial in our relationships
- efficient in our operations
- respectful of student, staff and faculty privacy.